Sunday, August 16, 2009

If you shuck it, they will come

Oops, this post was still in my draft section, oh well better late then never.
57th annual Sweet Corn Festival 2009! West Point was rollin' in the kernels this month.

I went up on Wednesday night to take advantage of the "shuckfest". Although I didn't sit down and shuck I got some great pictures of the event. There's 17 tons of corn poured out onto Merchmans parking lot and people come from surrounding counties and even other states to partake in the festivities. After shucking, the corn is picked up in milk crates and taken to an ice bath where it's cooled down and loaded into a refrigerated semi trailer. Pretty interesting, huh? I think so. From here it goes to the square where a steam engine cooks it. Now that's allot of corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment