Saturday, August 15, 2009

Todays Special

I have been busy as a bee this past week. Projects are coming together and some are complete! I have finished my chalkboard.
Tools needed:
  • frame - the older the better. (I used a dresser mirror frame)
  • paint of choice (you should look around at your local paint supply store as they sometimes have rejected colors on clearance)
  • paint brush
  • KRYLON chalkboard paint (this comes in brush on or spray, I used the brush on)
  • wood for chalkboard (I used a 1/4" of plywood)
  • sawtooth hangers
  • several small finishing nails

Begin by cleaning up your frame and preparing your work surface. Cut plywood to fit frame. Apply 2 coats of paint to frame and plywood allowing dry time in between. Nail plywood on back and add sawtooh hangers. Walla - you have a chalkboard. Before & after shot.


I have mine in the kitchen but they would be handy anywhere. I'm thinking I need a small one in the laundry room that says I'm on vacation ! {smiles}

Now Bonnie, I know you are dying to know about my other project. Well, it's finished so I will share it with you. Drum roll please......................
My tabletop checkerboard!!
I had picked up free junk (see previous post) added lots of masking tape, 3) .96 cans of spray paint, 1) can of polyurethane and a couple assistants to put together my checkerboard. The squares are 2 1/2" so I went on EBay and ordered my checkers. Anyone up for a game of checkers?
That's it for now, I have to get ready to go to the sweet corn festival. Yes imagine that, Iowa having a sweet corn festival ☺! Oh yeah I almost forgot, I'm working on another project, stay tuned. Click the follow me link to your right and you will see all the updates I post.

Have a great and safe weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The chalkboard turned out great!! As soon as I finished my first one, I immediately wanted a second one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both projects. I went out a got a huge frame to also do the chalkboard but you know me - Jess is my interior decorator - so I will wait for her to come back to Iowa to do mine. The table is amazing. Good Job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete